Latest

Flash Sale Crowds…

They came and grumbled over Slides late opening near 11 am. As the first chairs were rising up to unload they must have dropped the iron curtain and you could audibly here the exhale as the snow we had waited 2 and a half hours to ski was shredded beneath as an army came over from Rose and down Golds and Macho. There were many unhappy campers who said they would not be back…  after the head lift supervisor had told the crowd they would hold the Rose Skiers back until we had unloaded our first cycle chair since all of us had waited so long… So, some won’t be back and to tell you the truth, I was glad. Too many dang people nowadays… especially for a midweek day. But the Flash Sale Blue Light Special Cheapo Lift Tickets attracts a big crowd every time… too effectively actually. The mountain was chewed up in two runs pretty much although the lines didn’t noticeable shorten until afternoon. The pic below was taken at about 1:oo pm and as you can see, the line was still halfway to Bum$&#* Egypt.

Snow quality was OK… not exactly powder and not exactly crust but a little bit of both and way better than rocks and stumps with some chalky density to it. Interesting… I would say, but fun to ski!

Sven

Snow Totals…

At 7640 feet we received three inches of new snow and about an equal amount of rain. Winds are still blowing lightly and its  a chilly 19 degrees. There is your no bullshit snow total from a man on the ground.

Sven

12/15/16 Update: The Liquid Onslaught Continues

Rain is continuing to pound down this afternoon. Already received almost 3″ at Sky Tavern and the temp has actually gone up a degree or two the last two hours. The pounding of the rain is reminiscent of the flood of ’97 if it continues… hopefully the prognosticators are correct and it will turn to snow at some point before blowing itself out… there is snow still predicted at some point!

Had a reader comment that it was snowing at 1:30 this afternoon at Rose on the web cams… must have been a rerun or something. Here is the shot of the main lodge today at 4:30 and as you can see, there is no snow in site on the ground, on the roof or in the air. Make no mistake about it…. it is raining and it is raining hard at 36 degrees. If planning on skiing tomorrow PLEASE stay out of any Closed Areas including The Chutes and if BC skiing, take good care and do your Avy due diligence… you are betting your life on it! As I said this morning… if we get a good dump of snow tonight (which is in the forecast) the conditions are eerily similar to last weeks slope conditions when everything began to move and prove very unstable. Be safe out there!

Another reader forward the Sierra Avalanche Report for today (see in italics below) reporting snow levels close to 10,000 feet. National Weather Service was sure off on that one!

More detailed information about the snowpack: 

Touring on Relay Peak during the early portion of the storm between 11 am and 1:30 pm revealed rain up to 9,800′ with temporary, periodic lowering of snow level down to 9,600′. At the high point of travel at 9,960′, new snow accumulation was less than 1 cm (0.5 inch). Gale force SW winds were observed along ridgetops, but no blowing snow was observed. A significant increase in precipitation intensity was noted while departing the area around 1:45 pm. As the storm progresses through the afternoon and evening hours, increasing snowfall accumulation, blowing snow, and increasing avalanche danger are expected.

Sven

img_9908

Rain or Snow? Will the Truth Be Told?

11 am at 7640 feet and it is pouring rain at 35 degrees. The forecast is for snow levels to drop… hopefully sooner than later. It is pounding out there currently and I would expect the rain to extend upward quite a ways. I can see to 8500 currently and its all rain. Eerily, conditions are much like a repeat of last week. I would be very careful tomorrow if thinking about BC skiing on any steep terrain. The poorly consolidated temperature gradient snow still lies at ground level up high on Northern Exposures such as The Chutes and the slopes will be snow as well as rain loaded by then. Conditions could be quite sketchy depending on how the weather plays out today and tonight. I will keep updating later today and tonight. Stay tuned.

Sven

img_9892

Winter Storm Warning Issued: Yahoo

Looks like Rose will be closed again tomorrow and are offering a Walmart type Flash Sale on lift tickets on Friday so prepare for some long powder lines possibly… here is the scoop…

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
305 PM PST WED DEC 14 2016

CAZ072-NVZ002-151115-
/O.NEW.KREV.WS.W.0007.161215T1800Z-161216T1200Z/
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
305 PM PST WED DEC 14 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THURSDAY TO 4 AM PST
FRIDAY ABOVE 7000 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING ABOVE 7000 FEET FOR HEAVY SNOW, WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 10 AM THURSDAY TO 4 AM PST FRIDAY.

* TIMING: VALLEY RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW WILL MOVE IN THURSDAY
  MORNING, WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL OCCURRING BETWEEN 4 PM THURSDAY
  TO 1 AM FRIDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 3 FEET FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 8000
  FEET...6 TO 12 INCHES BETWEEN 7000 TO 8000 FOOT ELEVATION.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST 25 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 65 TO 70 MPH. SIERRA
  RIDGE GUSTS UP TO 130 MPH.

* SNOW LEVELS: NEAR 8000 FEET THURSDAY MORNING...THEN LOWERING TO
  NEAR 7000 THURSDAY NIGHT...AND THEN TO ALL VALLEY FLOORS BY
  FRIDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: HEAVY WET SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS
  CONDITIONS FOR THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS AROUND LAKE TAHOE.
  VISIBILITIES MAY DROP TO LESS THAN ONE QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.
  HIGHEST SIERRA PASSES WILL BE IMPACTED FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION
  OF THE STORM, ESPECIALLY MOUNT ROSE HIGHWAY AND CARSON PASS.
  DONNER PASS AND ECHO SUMMIT WILL BE IMPACTED BY HEAVY SNOW AND
  WINDS THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AVOID TRAVEL IF POSSIBLE, YOU COULD BE STUCK IN YOUR VEHICLE FOR
MANY HOURS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, PREPARE FOR LONG DELAYS AND CARRY
AN EMERGENCY KIT WITH EXTRA FOOD, WATER AND CLOTHING. IF YOU STAY
HOME, HAVE A BACKUP PLAN IN CASE OF POWER OUTAGES.

&&

Definition of “foretasted” anyone, anyone?

From the Mt. Rose website….

Mt. Rose will be Closed Wednesday Dec 14 due to the foretasted Strong & Damaging winds.

Please send me your ideas on this word… its why today’s skiing was pre-empted sometime yesterday… a first for Rose. Since our forecasts are typically inaccurate as to winds, precip, timing etc. We were all surprised when Rose announced yesterday they would be closed today. Hope this doesn’t become a habit or we might find that red banner up on their website more than we would like.

So, the definition of “foretasted”, anyone, anyone?

Sven